> Click here to download a flyer with information about the City of Lufkin’s Executive Search. (PDF)
Surrounded by the beautiful Piney Woods of Deep East Texas, Lufkin is conveniently located next to major cities like Dallas, Fort Worth, Houston, San Antonio, Waco and Shreveport, LA. With a population quickly approaching 40,000 people, Lufkin manages to remain peaceful and quaint while offering residents the quality amenities and resources of a larger city.
Lufkin was founded deep in the heart of the Forest Country in 1882. Timber has been a major driver of the community for more than a century and continues to have a lasting impact on growth and business. Through time, Lufkin has transformed into a regional medical, manufacturing and retail hub. Access to major railroads and highways, abundant water, a skilled workforce and local government incentives make Lufkin attractive to businesses large and small.
Lufkin believes in the value of partnerships and members of our community give generously of their time and money to make Lufkin better every year. Our entire country rallied around the #Thundering13 — the 2017 U.S. Little League World Series Championship team who represented Lufkin with humility, passion and teamwork.
Lufkin boasts a moderate Texas climate with a comfortable average temperature of 67°F and an average of 206 sunny days a year. Residents take full advantage of the beautiful weather by pursuing outdoor recreation opportunities throughout the heart of Texas Forest Country. Rich with natural areas, including well-maintained parks, sparkling lakes, flowing rivers, towering national forests, and wildlife management areas, Lufkin offers residents many well-managed starting points from which to explore the outdoors.
Life in Lufkin is complete with established communities, excellent schools, top-notch golfing, enriching cultural institutions, an outstanding zoo, quality hotels, incredible restaurants, and a wide range of shops and stores.
Prepared in consultation with the Economic Development Corporation Board and key staff, the following reflects the leadership and management style and personal characteristics of the City of Lufkin’s ideal candidate:
• Uses an open management and collaborative operational approach, sharing information freely with the City Manager, the Economic Development Board, staff and area media partners
• Is fiscally conservative with highly developed financial management, analytical, budget development and oversight skills
• Understands pertinent federal, state and local laws, codes, and regulations relating to general governmental management and economic development
• Is an ethical and transparent leader who keeps the City’s best interests in the forefront
• Is committed to collaboration and engagement among employees and community
• Has the tenacity and creativity to work through complex, long-term and often challenging issues and projects
• Develops and implements programs to attract new businesses and retain existing business
• Communicates with outstanding interpersonal, written and presentation skills
• Is enterprising, organized, resourceful, data-driven and strategic in approach and execution
• Will develop and maintain effective working relationships with City employees while expecting and delivering a high level of accountability and productivity
• Exhibits strong and visible leadership with evident passion and commitment
• Meaningfully engages in Lufkin’s business communities
• Appreciates and embraces technology, adapting resources with the speed and expertise demanded by site selectors
• Values staff and their expertise
• Will commit to a long-term relationship with the City of Lufkin
• Shares a visionary approach to Lufkin’s future with the capacity to see the big picture, and partner at state, national and international levels to keep Lufkin at the forefront of the business conversation
• Facilitates the exchange of information related to economic development with the City, County, allies, partners, governmental agencies, and groups specifically concerned with economic development
• Exhibits sound, accurate judgment and explains reasoning for decisions
• Travels and works extended hours, evenings and weekends as needed
• Demonstrates personal and professional integrity of the highest order, in both public and private life.
CITY OF LUFKIN
The City of Lufkin operates under the Council-Manager form of government, with all legislative and policy-making responsibilities vested in the City Council and all administrative responsibilities vested in the City Manager. The citizens, working through the City Council, set Lufkin’s priorities and help the community identify issues for long-term planning that will ensure the preservation of a better quality of life.
The City of Lufkin allocates one eighth of one percentage of locally collected sales tax into an economic development fund. The annual 4B sales tax averages approximately $1 million. With oversight by the Lufkin City Council, the Economic Development Corporation Board works to determine how those funds will be spent. The mission of the Economic Development Corporation is to stimulate the growth and expansion of our existing industry base and to conduct an aggressive national recruitment effort aimed at attracting new industry and quality jobs to the City of Lufkin and Angelina County.
Lufkin’s Economic Development Director will serve under the direct supervision of the City Manager, implementing the directives of the Lufkin Economic Development Board of Directors to drive broad recruitment and retention of all businesses within Lufkin.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
The City of Lufkin is hiring an Economic Development Director to foster and support strong working relationships with public, private and non-profit sector partners to develop and implement long-range strategies to ensure the economic health and vitality of the City of Lufkin. The successful candidate will hold a Bachelor’s Degree in business management, marketing, community development, economics, engineering or a related field. Five years of experience in economic development, marketing, management, or related field, including at least two years in a lead or supervisory capacity are preferred; however, the City of Lufkin will consider any combination of education, work experience and training that provides the capacity to execute the essential functions of the position. A Certified Economic Developer (CED) is preferred. The candidate’s background and experience should also include a diverse exposure to developing successful partnerships within a community seeking growth and prosperity.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
Lufkin offers a highly competitive starting salary based on the successful candidate’s qualifications and experience and Texas has no state income tax. The salary ranges from $70,000 to 100,000 depending on qualifications. The City of Lufkin offers a comprehensive benefits package (Medical, Prescription, Life, Dental, LTD, Wellness Program). The successful candidate will be included in the Texas Municipal Retirement System (5 year vesting; 20 year retirement at any age; 7% employee contribution; 2 to 1 match; Updated Service Credit) and enjoy Vacation, Sick Days, Longevity Pay, Tuition Assistance, and 11 Paid Holidays.
The quality of life offered in Lufkin is outstanding, the overall cost of living index in Lufkin, is 3% lower than the Texas average and 12% lower than the national average. The successful candidate is encouraged to reside within Angelina County while employed by the City.
A City of Lufkin job application must be submitted to be considered for this position. Questions and resumes should be directed to Rodney Ivy, (936) 633-0229 or email@example.com.
Apply Monday-Friday, 8 am – 5 pm. Human Resources Department: Room 226, 300 E. Shepherd Ave., Lufkin, TX, 75901, www.CityofLufkin.com.
Applicants may also contact Workforce Solutions at 210 N. John Redditt Dr., Lufkin, TX 75904.
Open until filled.
It is the policy of the City of Lufkin to provide equal employment opportunity to all individuals without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, age, sex, national origin, handicap or Veteran’s status.